lf2

Reply To: Types of psychopaths

Madelaine
Participant

Sunnygal,
so sorry to hear about toxic organizations. I am a woman working in a typically male (tech) field that has more than its fair share of malignant narcissists. It’s hyper-competitive so this attracts a lot of people who want to win at all costs. Ironically, it also attracts “bimbo” type women who attach themselves to the boss (or boss’s son) to get ahead. Once these patterns get established, they are toxic and there is very little that can be done. That’s why I prefer project work where I can do something else with another team every few months.

Your transit center sounds incompetent at best and toxic at work. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference. I’ve been doing reading around “corporate gaslighting” in which the organization “looses” documents or has “guidelines” (which can be ignored) instead of “policies and procedures” (which have to be followed. The whole point is to gaslight victims for some reason or the other by playing the “stupid” card (called plausible deniability).

I’ve gotten so used to the games that are played that I am pretty quick to disengage. I don’t see this as a good thing. I think it is incredibly sad that people and organizations are so endemically toxic that the best choice is to walk away. What does that say about society? I worry about young people who actually need jobs to pay the rent and get food. I work because I love the work, so I have a bit more flexibility about being able to avoid s’paths. Even then, walking away is emotionally hard, but it is not economically catastrophic. Is it my imagination, or are there more and more cluster B people? I don’t remember dealing with so many toxic people 30 years ago. Maybe I just gaslight and gaslightable more than I am now 🙂

Thanks for the heads up about Dr. Ault’s article. I’m going to read it now.

Send this to a friend