lf2

Reply To: 7 WAYS TO BE NARCISSIST’S WORST NIGHTMARE

acharbet
Participant

When I learned the truth about what my abuser had done to me, the assault and torture, I was angry and wanted revenge. But I decided not to pursue that as I saw that would mean I’d be pursuing her mindset, adopting it as my own.

Many narcissists and sociopaths, having suffered their own abuses, are hell-bent on wreaking revenge, ‘re-living’ their trauma from a comparative position of strength. I think at least in some cases, their innocent victims are proxies, stand-ins for those who actually traumatised them. Much as some people enter into unhealthy relationship after unhealthy relationship, essentially because they are trying to renegotiate (on better terms) their relationships with their parents. My own succession of bad relationships was, I came to know, my attempt to renegotiate my perceived ‘failures’ to ‘earn’ the love of my malignantly narcissistic mother.

My experiences have lead me to believe that most if not all sociopaths are essentially abuse victims who have adopted the false sense of safety that comes from becoming a predator.

As an abuse survivor, I am wary of the risk that I might too make such choices. I do not want to harm anyone. I therefore strive to rise above that.

Love to all.

Send this to a friend