REGISTER | LOGIN

Reply To: Can a sociopath recognize that he has a mental disorder?

shescomeundone
Participant

Moni1609,
I personally believe they are aware, whether they have been officially diagnosed or not. Without knowing his family dynamic, I can’t say one way or the other for your experience. But I can say that mine was very aware. He had no friends in town, but when a childhood friend of his moved back to town, the two of them were thick as theives. He even “showed me off” to this friend with a knowing look that said… see, look what I got. I didnt realize it at the time, i was stupidly flattered. But looking back I am sure that this friend was aware of what my SP was, and most likely was one too. Think about it, disordered people would be the only ones that he could drop the mask in front of, and not be judged. That was the beginning of the end for us. That was when the cheating became obvious. He didn’t need me anymore now that his wingman was back, so the discarding of me was brutal. I finally left on my own, knowing something was very wrong, but not realizing exactly what it was until years later.
IMHO, your SP ending it is a blessing in disguise. You’ll come to know that in time. There are other threads on this topic on this site. Read and educate yourself!
Wishing you peace and clarity and strength!

Send this to a friend