lf2

Emotional detachment

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  viva 1 week ago.

• Author

Sunnygal
    Participant

Sandra Brown talks about emotional detachment in her article ‘hate and your potential for relapse- part 2’. All religions have detachment- holy indifference, non-attachment, asceticism. It gives you back the power over your emotions. Step outside of the situation as if you were the third person.

Sunnygal
    Participant

For your sanity and peace you can choose holy indifference or in the 12 step tradition ‘turning him and the situation over to God’.

Sunnygal
    Participant

I find this helpful.

Sunnygal
    Participant

This is still helpful.

Sunnygal
    Participant

Can give sanity and peace of mind.

Sunnygal
    Participant

The opposite of love is indifference, not hate.

Sunnygal
    Participant

This is always helpful.

Sunnygal
    Participant

I found this an interesting article.

viva
    Participant

I found detachment helped while I was in the early stages of rebuilding my self but, after a while, that detachment began to feel like it got in between me and feeling alive. It feels like I need to feel where I’ve been so as to register that those feelings were a warning that I ignored. I won’t ignore them again.

I agree that indifference is the opposite of love but it seems to me that someone else’s unloving heart shouldn’t be the one that causes you to change your loving one.

Just a thought…

Sunnygal
    Participant

I think Sandra means indifference to the psychopath but loving toward your healthy relatives and friends.

viva
    Participant

Hi Sunnygal and apologies if I came across as criticising – I didn’t intend that. I meant only that, for me, detachment from how I feel about him brought about a detachment from that kind of connection. That kind of connection being different from family and friend connections.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Send this to a friend