lf2

Q-tip – Quit taking it personally

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sunnygal 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Sunnygal
    Participant

This is a slogan I got from Al-Anon but it can be used here also.

Sunnygal
    Participant

The disordered do what they do because they are disordered. You just happened to be convenient.

cloud79
    Participant

You can’t not take it personally if a sociopath has caused irreversible damage to your life and health . Bear in mind they are capable of controlling their actions. They are not mentally ill! I believe this attitude lets them get away with it and justifies their antics and criminal activities. They know exactly what they are doing and are doing it with premeditation!

Sunnygal
    Participant

This doesn’t let them get away with it but helps you be objective. That helps IMO.

cloud79
    Participant

I am being objective. He did it to me because he wanted to . He knew what he was doing. He carefully planned it and executed it . As I had said before, they are not mentally ill, their judgment is not impaired. They have a choice . I could perhaps understand if a person who is schizophrenic or psychotic committed such acts .

Sunnygal
    Participant

Well their brain is different. I don’t know if they have a choice.

cloud79
    Participant

Yes, their brains are different. However,antisocial personality disorder is not even classified as a mental illness. They can’t enter insanity plea in court .
    They don’t run around hacking people with an axe in public . They carefully plan their actions, they know that what they are doing is wrong and socially unacceptable. They can choose to stop at any time .
    They don’t want to be cheated on but they cheat on their partners without blinking an eye .
    Now imagine that a psychopath kills someone you know, someone close to you . Would you still not take it personally because his brain is different?

Sunnygal
    Participant

I guess I see it differently than you and I’ll leave it at that. You might look at Donna’s post.

AnnettePK
    Participant

A spath will victimize anyone without regard to who they are – their parents, their children, their spouse, and/or perfect strangers – if he thinks he will benefit and if he thinks he won’t get caught. Spaths don’t bond to individual people, nor do they victimize someone because of who she is or because she deserves to be victimized in some way. It is impersonal to the spath whom he targets; therefore there is nothing wrong with the victim that ’caused’ her to be victimized.

cloud79
    Participant

The fact that they abuse others as well and that there were and will be more victims does not make the damage any less personal!
    I also believe that if people were taking the abuse more personally the perpetrators would be exposed and punished more often.
    Only because I had taken mine personally the Michigan con artist ended up in jail. Clearly no one before me did, as I was told by a lawyer linked to the case that ‘he misled a lot of people’…

AnnettePK
    Participant

Cloud, In what specific ways do you feel you take abuse more personally? Do you feel your abuser would not abuse other people as he abused you?

What specific actions did you do that were different than others that you believe led to the incarceration of your abuser?

In what ways do you feel that you are different than other victims of abuse?

cloud79
    Participant

I did not shrug it off and said ‘oh well, he did it to others as well, I just need to forget about it and move on ‘ .
    So far he was getting away with it because his family , including his wife was covering up for him .
    I provided evidence of his actions and pictures of forged documentation and thanks to that the case went public and he was sentenced . And now anyone can google his name and village name and find out that he is a con man who did time for forgery .

AnnettePK
    Participant

Thanks for explaining. I don’t think that not taking a spath’s behavior personally is the same as shrugging it off and forgetting about it. For most victims, it’s not possible to respond to profound betrayal, manipulation, exploitation in that way. Holding the abuser accountable and hopefully preventing harm to other victims when possible are responsible choices that can help bring closure for the victim. These are not mutually exclusive with what most
    people on this site mean when we speak of not taking the abuse personally, which is an understanding that spaths don’t bond and that they choose to abuse anyone they can get away with it, not that there’s anything special about any particular victim. They just don’t care, one way or the other.

Forgery is a criminal offense, what a blessing that he did not ‘get away with it.’ Sadly, more often than not spaths do not get caught, and much of their abuse is subtle and not technically illegal or very difficult to prove.

cloud79
    Participant

I agree that in this case ‘taking personally’ can be understood in two different ways.
    By all means I do not blame myself for what he had done to me .

Sunnygal
    Participant

cloud79 I’m glad you brought charges against the spath and he was charged with forgery. I complained to authorities about the abusive/gaslighting behavior of a spath and now have no contact. I think this guy targeted me because I was convenient and I don’t take it personally but whether you take it personally or not, it is always good to notify authorities and stop the abusive behavior if you can.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Send this to a friend