Growing problem: Players assaulting referees at sporting events

A youth soccer referee died Saturday after being punched in the head by a 17-year-old player. Violence against referees is happening more and more.

Ref’s death a consequence of society’s lack of sportsmanship, on The


Comment on this article

Please Login to comment
Notify of

This is very sad.But the problem doesn’t start in HS.It really starts in the home.Watch any toddler son imitate daddy.What does daddy do when the game comes on?Is he hollering profanities at the other team?!Does Daddy get impatient and holler and seek revenge in other situations?!And then tell son while rubbing his head and patting his back that this is what “MEN DO”?!!

lost everything

Don’t forget about professional athletes that attack their coach.

For those of you that don’t follow pro sports, I will relate the story of Latrell Spreewell, a former NBA player. In conjunction with the above article it’s good footnote.

“Though a four-time All-Star, a significant mark on Sprewell’s career was an incident which took place on December 1, 1997, in which he attacked head coach P. J. Carlesimo during a Warriors practice. When Carlesimo yelled at Sprewell to make crisper passes (specifically asking him to “put a little mustard” on a pass[2]), Sprewell responded that he was not in the mood for criticism and told the coach to keep his distance. When Carlesimo approached, Sprewell threatened to kill him and dragged him backwards by his throat, choking him for 7”“10 seconds before his teammates and assistant coaches pulled Sprewell off his coach. Sprewell returned about 20 minutes later after showering and changing and again accosted Carlesimo. He landed a glancing blow at Carlesimo’s right cheek before being dragged away again by the assistant coaches. It was not his first violent incident with the Warriors; in 1995, Sprewell fought with teammate Jerome Kersey and returned to practice carrying a two-by-four, and reportedly threatened to return with a gun.[3] In a 1993 practice, Sprewell fought with Byron Houston, who was 50 pounds heavier than Sprewell and had what many teammates describe as having a Mike Tyson-like demeanor and physique.[4]
Sprewell was suspended for 10 games without pay. The next day, in the wake of a public uproar, the Warriors voided the remainder of his contract, which included $23.7 million over three years, and the NBA suspended him for one year. Sprewell took the case to arbitration, and, as a result, the contract voiding was overturned and the league suspension was reduced to the remaining 68 games of the season. He sought to vacate the arbitration contract under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement. His case went through all appeals, and was remanded. During his suspension, Sprewell was charged with reckless driving for his role in a 90 mph accident that injured two people, and spent three months under house arrest as part of a no-contest plea.[3][5]”

But that did not end his pro career. He was traded to the NY Knicks and played for them starting in February 1999 until 2003. Spreewell was then traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves for the start of the 2003. “On October 31, 2004, the Minnesota Timberwolves offered Sprewell a 3-year, $21 million contract extension, substantially less than what his then-current contract paid him. Claiming to feel insulted by the offer, he publicly expressed outrage, declaring, “I have a family to feed … If Glen Taylor wants to see my family fed, he better cough up some money. Otherwise, you’re going to see these kids in one of those Sally Struthers commercials soon.”[1] He declined the extension, and, having once more drawn the ire of fans and sports media, had the worst season of his career in the final year of his contract. In the summer of 2005, the Nuggets, Cavs, and Rockets all expressed interest in signing Latrell Sprewell, but no agreements were reached.
One month into the 2005-06 season and without a contract, Sprewell’s agent, Bob Gist, said his client would rather retire than play for the NBA minimum salary, telling Sports Illustrated, “Latrell doesn’t need the money that badly. To go from being offered $7 million to taking $1 million, that would be a slap in the face.” Several days later, Gist said that Sprewell planned to wait until “teams get desperate” around the trade deadline in February, and then sign with a contending team (an eventuality that never materialized). Gist said that Sprewell would not be interested in signing for any team’s $5 million mid-level exception, calling that amount “a level beneath which [Sprewell] would not stoop or kneel!”
In March 2006, Sprewell was offered contracts by the Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs, both of whom were considered at the time to be strong favorites to win the NBA Championship, but Sprewell failed to respond and remained a free agent as the season came to a close. There was also some interest in Sprewell by the Los Angeles Lakers at the beginning of the 2005-2006 season, but a disagreement in the contract offer resulted in a failure to reach a deal.[citation needed]
Over the course of his career, Sprewell started 868 of 913 games he played in, averaging 18.8 ppg, 4.2 apg and 4.1 rpg with playoff career averages of 19.7 ppg, 3.4 apg and 4.3 rpg. Sprewell was named to the All-NBA First Team at the end of his second season, and to the All-NBA Defensive second team that same year.” Yes he was very talented, gifted.

Spreewell’s life after basketball spiraled out of control.

“Sprewell’s personal life since he last played in the NBA has been plagued with controversy and financial trouble.

On August 30, 2006, Milwaukee police investigated a claim by a 21-year-old female who claimed that she and Sprewell were having consensual sex aboard his 70-foot (21 m) yacht, named “Milwaukee’s Best,” when Sprewell began to strangle her. Police allegedly observed red marks on the woman’s neck. Police investigating the allegation searched Sprewell’s yacht for evidence.[7] On September 6, 2006, police indicated that he would not face any charges from the alleged incident. Sprewell sought a restraining order against the woman along with “civil remedies” against the accuser.[8]
On January 31, 2007, Sprewell’s long term companion sued him for $200 million for ending their relationship agreement. She claimed Sprewell agreed to support her and their four children while they were in college.[9]

On August 22, 2007, it was reported by multiple news agencies that Latrell Sprewell’s yacht was repossessed by federal marshals after Sprewell failed to maintain payments and insurance for the vessel, for which he reportedly still owed approximately $1.3 million.[10] In addition, while piloted by Sprewell, the yacht ran ashore near Atwater Beach, just north of Milwaukee. Sprewell refused to contract with a professional salvage firm to remove the yacht. The yacht was eventually freed with the help of a local fishing vessel.[11]
In February 2008, Sprewell’s yacht was auctioned for $856,000 after he defaulted on a $1.5 million mortgage,[12] and in May 2008 a Milwaukee area home owned by Sprewell went into foreclosure status.[13] Between September 2007 and January 2008, documents revealed that Sprewell failed to make his mortgage payments of $2,593 per month.[14] In July 2009 a Westchester mansion owned by Sprewell went into foreclosure status.[15] That action was dismissed on motion of another party’s attorney, Roger K. Marion.[15].”

All of my quotes are from:

That was not the end, this past New Year’s Eve, he was arrested for a disturbance and not released until the following day.

No matter how talented or how much money, it means nothing.

A great role model for kids (sarcasism implied). Youth want to emulate public figures, sadly, sometimes they also copy the baggage.

lost everything,
With that kind of model(and many more),if parents don’t take it upon themselves to take an interest in their childrens’ interests and help them make wise choices,there can only be more and more sad consequences.

Send this to a friend